Plan, direct, or coordinate the actual distribution or movement of a product or service to the customer. Coordinate sales distribution by establishing sales territories, quotas, and goals and establish training programs for sales representatives. Analyze sales statistics gathered by staff to determine sales potential and inventory requirements and monitor the preferences of customers.
- Represent company at trade association meetings to promote products.
- Assess marketing potential of new and existing store locations, considering statistics and expenditures.
- Direct, coordinate, and review activities in sales and service accounting and record-keeping, and in receiving and shipping operations.
- Direct clerical staff to keep records of export correspondence, bid requests, and credit collections, and to maintain current information on tariffs, licenses, and restrictions.
- Visit franchised dealers to stimulate interest in establishment or expansion of leasing programs.
- Advise dealers and distributors on policies and operating procedures to ensure functional effectiveness of business.
- Direct foreign sales and service outlets of an organization.
- Confer with potential customers regarding equipment needs and advise customers on types of equipment to purchase.
- Direct and coordinate activities involving sales of manufactured products, services, commodities, real estate or other subjects of sale.
- Confer or consult with department heads to plan advertising services and to secure information on equipment and customer specifications.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2014, the average annual wage in United States was $126,040
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 359,300 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 389,000 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 2,970 openings due to growth and about 7,720 replacement openings for approximately 10,690 total annual openings.
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
majorConsumer Merchandising/Retailing Management
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General