Plan, direct, or coordinate activities designed to create or maintain a favorable public image or raise issue awareness for their organization or client; or if engaged in fundraising, plan, direct, or coordinate activities to solicit and maintain funds for special projects or nonprofit organizations.
- Account Executive
- Account Manager
- Account Supervisor
- Alumni Relations Coordinator
- Business Development Director
- Communication Manager
- Communications Coordinator
- Communications Director
- Communications Manager
- Community Relations Director
- Manage in-house communication courses.
- Maintain company archives.
- Observe and report on social, economic and political trends that might affect employers.
- Produce films and other video products, regulate their distribution, and operate film library.
- Confer with labor relations managers to develop internal communications that keep employees informed of company activities.
- Establish goals for soliciting funds, develop policies for collection and safeguarding of contributions, and coordinate disbursement of funds.
- Formulate policies and procedures related to public information programs, working with public relations executives.
- Facilitate consumer relations, or the relationship between parts of the company such as the managers and employees, or different branch offices.
- Manage special events such as sponsorship of races, parties introducing new products, or other activities the firm supports to gain public attention through the media without advertising directly.
- Evaluate advertising and promotion programs for compatibility with public relations efforts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $111,260 with most people making between $53,360 and $184,290
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 61,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 72,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 1,000 openings due to growth and about 26,000 replacement openings for approximately 27,000 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorPublic Relations/Image Management
onetRadio and Television Announcers
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
collegeSan Jose State University
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
onetPublic Relations Specialists
majorPublic Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communication