Direct financial activities, such as planning, procurement, and investments for all or part of an organization.
- Business Manager
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Chief School Finance Officer
- City Comptroller
- City Controller
- City Treasurer
- Controller, Operations, and HR Manager
- Corporate Controller
- Determine depreciation rates to apply to capitalized items and advise management on actions regarding the purchase, lease, or disposal of such items.
- Perform tax planning work.
- Receive cash and checks and make deposits.
- Handle all aspects of employee insurance, benefits, and casualty programs, including monitoring changes in health insurance regulations and creating budgets for benefits and worker's compensation.
- Compute, withhold, and account for all payroll deductions.
- Prepare and file annual tax returns or prepare financial information so that outside accountants can complete tax returns.
- Lead staff training and development in budgeting and financial management areas.
- Conduct or coordinate audits of company accounts and financial transactions to ensure compliance with state and federal requirements and statutes.
- Delegate authority for the receipt, disbursement, banking, protection, and custody of funds, securities, and financial instruments.
- Receive, record, and authorize requests for disbursements in accordance with company policies and procedures.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Management of Financial Resources - Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $145,530 with most people making between $84,910 and n/a
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 26,150 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 26,550 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 40 openings due to growth and about 470 replacement openings for approximately 510 total annual openings.
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorAccounting and Finance
collegeUniversity of San Francisco
majorAccounting and Business/Management
collegeUniversity of Southern California