Plan, direct, or coordinate the activities of buyers, purchasing officers, and related workers involved in purchasing materials, products, and services. Includes wholesale or retail trade merchandising managers and procurement managers.
- Arrange for disposal of surplus materials.
- Prepare bid awards requiring board approval.
- Prepare reports regarding market conditions and merchandise costs.
- Administer online purchasing systems.
- Review purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to company policy.
- Review, evaluate, and approve specifications for issuing and awarding bids.
- Control purchasing department budgets.
- Resolve vendor or contractor grievances, and claims against suppliers.
- Analyze market and delivery systems to assess present and future material availability.
- Participate in the development of specifications for equipment, products or substitute materials.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $127,180 with most people making between $77,540 and $183,530
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 2,750 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 2,650 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 80 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Chief Executives
- Financial Managers, Branch or Department
- Storage and Distribution Managers
- Gaming Managers
- Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Management Analysts
- Gaming Supervisors
- First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Non-Retail Sales Workers
- Sales Agents, Securities and Commodities
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
collegeNaval Postgraduate School
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
collegeLa Sierra University
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
onetAdministrative Services Managers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorPurchasing, Procurement/Acquisitions and Contracts Management
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
majorAccounting and Finance