Direct and coordinate, through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities of workers engaged in fish hatchery production for corporations, cooperatives, or other owners.
- Aquaculture Cooperative Marketing Director
- Aquaculture Director
- Aquaculture Farm Manager
- Aquaculture Professor
- Aquaculture Program Director
- Farm Operations Technical Director
- Finfish Aquaculture Specialist
- Fish Farmer
- Fish Hatchery Manager
- Grow fish and shellfish as cash crops or for release into freshwater or saltwater.
- Supervise and train aquaculture and fish hatchery support workers.
- Collect and record growth, production, and environmental data.
- Conduct and supervise stock examinations in order to identify diseases or parasites.
- Account for and disburse funds.
- Devise and participate in activities to improve fish hatching and growth rates, and to prevent disease in hatcheries.
- Monitor environments to ensure maintenance of optimum conditions for aquatic life.
- Direct and monitor trapping and spawning of fish, egg incubation, and fry rearing, applying knowledge of management and fish culturing techniques.
- Coordinate the selection and maintenance of brood stock.
- Direct and monitor the transfer of mature fish to lakes, ponds, streams, or commercial tanks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $73,210 with most people making between $33,840 and $119,530
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,202,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 1,106,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 234,000 replacement openings for approximately 234,000 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
majorAnimal Sciences, General
collegeAzusa Pacific University
collegeUniversity of California-Merced
collegeOregon State University
majorCooking and Related Culinary Arts, General
majorPhysical Education Teaching and Coaching
onetArchitectural and Engineering Managers
onetAircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors