Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as architecture and engineering or research and development in these fields.
- Waterworks Chief Engineer
- Transmitter Engineer-in-Charge
- Supervisory Civil Engineer
- Senior Program Manager
- Senior Engineering Manager
- Safety Director
- Research Manager
- Research Development Manager
- Prototype Engineer Manager
- Project Manager
- Administer highway planning, construction, or maintenance.
- Plan, direct, or coordinate survey work with other project activities.
- Identify environmental threats or opportunities associated with the development and launch of new technologies.
- Direct the engineering of water control, treatment, or distribution projects.
- Evaluate the environmental impacts of engineering, architecture, or research and development activities.
- Develop or implement programs to improve sustainability or reduce the environmental impacts of engineering or architecture activities or operations.
- Solicit project support by conferring with officials or providing information to the public.
- Evaluate environmental regulations or social pressures related to environmental issues to inform strategic or operational decision-making.
- Establish scientific or technical goals within broad outlines provided by top management.
- Perform administrative functions, such as reviewing or writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, or purchasing of materials or services.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $142,710
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 6,650 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 6,450 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 140 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.
majorCivil Engineering, General
onetArchitects, Except Landscape and Naval
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorAerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering