Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, mathematics, statistics, and research and development in these fields.
- Agricultural Research Director
- Agriculture Research Director
- Chemical Laboratory Chief
- Chemical Plant Technical Director
- Coastal Management Planner
- Director of Research
- Director of Research and Development
- Environmental Manager
- Environmental Research Project Manager
- Make presentations at professional meetings to further knowledge in the field.
- Prepare and administer budgets, approve and review expenditures, and prepare financial reports.
- Advise or assist in obtaining patents or meeting other legal requirements.
- Recruit personnel or oversee the development or maintenance of staff competence.
- Conduct own research in field of expertise.
- Provide for stewardship of plant or animal resources or habitats, studying land use, monitoring animal populations, or providing shelter, resources, or medical treatment for animals.
- Develop innovative technology or train staff for its implementation.
- Develop or implement policies, standards, or procedures for the architectural, scientific, or technical work performed to ensure regulatory compliance or operations enhancement.
- Determine scientific or technical goals within broad outlines provided by top management and make detailed plans to accomplish these goals.
- Hire, supervise, or evaluate engineers, technicians, researchers, or other staff.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $174,130
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,550 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 3,500 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 110 job openings annually.
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
onetUrban and Regional Planners
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetCriminal Investigators and Special Agents
majorMarine Biology and Biological Oceanography
collegeUniversity of Southern California