Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain record of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Serve as bankruptcy trustees or business valuators.
- Survey operations to ascertain accounting needs and to recommend, develop, or maintain solutions to business and financial problems.
- Appraise, evaluate, and inventory real property and equipment, recording information such as the description, value and location of property.
- Prepare forms and manuals for accounting and bookkeeping personnel, and direct their work activities.
- Represent clients before taxing authorities and provide support during litigation involving financial issues.
- Advise management about issues such as resource utilization, tax strategies, and the assumptions underlying budget forecasts.
- Analyze business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations, to project future revenues and expenses or to provide advice.
- Provide internal and external auditing services for businesses or individuals.
- Develop, maintain, and analyze budgets, preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs.
- Advise clients in areas such as compensation, employee health care benefits, the design of accounting or data processing systems, or long-range tax or estate plans.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $84,160 with most people making between $50,290 and $125,270
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 37,560 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 40,730 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 317 openings due to growth and about 1,113 replacement openings for approximately 1,430 total annual openings.
majorAccounting and Finance
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorAccounting and Business/Management
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles