Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports.
- Accounting Supervisor
- Budget Analyst
- Budget and Policy Analyst
- Budget Coordinator
- Budget Engineer
- Budget Examiner
- Budget Manager
- Budget Officer
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Match appropriations for specific programs with appropriations for broader programs, including items for emergency funds.
- Testify before examining and fund-granting authorities, clarifying and promoting the proposed budgets.
- Seek new ways to improve efficiency and increase profits.
- Interpret budget directives and establish policies for carrying out directives.
- Perform cost-benefit analyses to compare operating programs, review financial requests, or explore alternative financing methods.
- Compile and analyze accounting records and other data to determine the financial resources required to implement a program.
- Consult with managers to ensure that budget adjustments are made in accordance with program changes.
- Review operating budgets to analyze trends affecting budget needs.
- Summarize budgets and submit recommendations for the approval or disapproval of funds requests.
- Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CEI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $74,430 with most people making between $53,610 and $98,860
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,020 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 2,990 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
majorAccounting and Finance
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of San Francisco
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeSan Diego State University