Obtain evidence, take statements, produce reports, and testify to findings regarding resolution of fraud allegations. May coordinate fraud detection and prevention activities.
- Audit Manager
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Forensic Accountant
- Fraud Analyst
- Fraud Examiner
- Fraud Investigator
- Inspector General
- Internal Audit Manager
- Special Agent
- Arrest individuals to be charged with fraud.
- Obtain and serve subpoenas.
- Research or evaluate new technologies for use in fraud detection systems.
- Conduct field surveillance to gather case-related information.
- Negotiate with responsible parties to arrange for recovery of losses due to fraud.
- Recommend actions in fraud cases.
- Evaluate business operations to identify risk areas for fraud.
- Maintain knowledge of current events and trends in such areas as money laundering and criminal tools and techniques.
- Train others in fraud detection and prevention techniques.
- Review reports of suspected fraud to determine need for further investigation.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $67,020 with most people making between $35,640 and $105,950
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 164,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 174,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 1,000 openings due to growth and about 43,000 replacement openings for approximately 44,000 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of San Diego
onetCriminal Investigators and Special Agents
collegeUniversity of California-Riverside
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetNatural Sciences Managers
majorCriminalistics and Criminal Science
majorForensic Science and Technology
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley