Analyze science, engineering, business, and other data processing problems to implement and improve computer systems. Analyze user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate or improve existing systems and review computer system capabilities, workflow, and scheduling limitations. May analyze or recommend commercially available software.
- Interview or survey workers, observe job performance or perform the job to determine what information is processed and how it is processed.
- Specify inputs accessed by the system and plan the distribution and use of the results.
- Use the computer in the analysis and solution of business problems, such as development of integrated production and inventory control and cost analysis systems.
- Prepare cost-benefit and return-on-investment analyses to aid in decisions on system implementation.
- Use object-oriented programming languages, as well as client and server applications development processes and multimedia and Internet technology.
- Recommend new equipment or software packages.
- Train staff and users to work with computer systems and programs.
- Define the goals of the system and devise flow charts and diagrams describing logical operational steps of programs.
- Analyze information processing or computation needs and plan and design computer systems, using techniques such as structured analysis, data modeling and information engineering.
- Assess the usefulness of pre-developed application packages and adapt them to a user environment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ICR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Programming - Writing computer programs for various purposes.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $90,920 with most people making between $58,260 and $130,710
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeUniversity of California-Irvine
onetSoftware Developers, Systems Software
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
majorComputer Systems Analysis/Analyst
onetComputer Network Architects
onetSoftware Developers, Applications
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
majorComputer and Information Sciences, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California