Research, design, develop, and test operating systems-level software, compilers, and network distribution software for medical, industrial, military, communications, aerospace, business, scientific, and general computing applications. Set operational specifications and formulate and analyze software requirements. May design embedded systems software. Apply principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis.
- Application Developer
- Automation Engineer
- Averaged HEND (High-Energy Neutron Data) Data Product Lead (AHD Product Lead)
- Beta Tester
- Business Object Architect
- Business Systems Analyst
- Certified Novell Engineer (CNE)
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Computer Architect
- Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware, or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance.
- Develop or direct software system testing or validation procedures.
- Direct software programming and development of documentation.
- Consult with customers or other departments on project status, proposals, or technical issues, such as software system design or maintenance.
- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
- Consult with engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software, develop specifications and performance requirements, or resolve customer problems.
- Design or develop software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
- Prepare reports or correspondence concerning project specifications, activities, or status.
- Confer with data processing or project managers to obtain information on limitations or capabilities for data processing projects.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ICR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $114,630 with most people making between $71,840 and $161,080
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
onetComputer and Information Research Scientists
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
onetComputer and Information Systems Managers
majorComputer Programming/Programmer, General
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorComputer Engineering, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetSoftware Developers, Applications
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorComputer Software Engineering