Design and implement computer and information networks, such as local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), intranets, extranets, and other data communications networks. Perform network modeling, analysis, and planning. May also design network and computer security measures. May research and recommend network and data communications hardware and software.
- Communications Analyst
- Communications Consultant
- Computer Network Engineer
- Data Communications Analyst
- Data Communications Software Consultant
- Design Engineer
- Enterprise Architect
- Information Technology Director
- Information Technology Manager
- Internet Application Developer
- Develop disaster recovery plans.
- Adjust network sizes to meet volume or capacity demands.
- Communicate with customers, sales staff, or marketing staff to determine customer needs.
- Communicate with system users to ensure accounts are set up properly or to diagnose and solve operational problems.
- Coordinate installation of new equipment.
- Coordinate network operations, maintenance, repairs, or upgrades.
- Coordinate network or design activities with designers of associated networks.
- Design, build, or operate equipment configuration prototypes, including network hardware, software, servers, or server operation systems.
- Design, organize, and deliver product awareness, skills transfer, or product education sessions for staff or suppliers.
- Determine specific network hardware or software requirements, such as platforms, interfaces, bandwidths, or routine schemas.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ICR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $94,000.00 with most people making between $52,580.00 and $141,590.00
United States projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
collegeCalifornia Institute of Technology
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorMechatronics, Robotics, and Automation Engineering
onetComputer Systems Analysts
onetSoftware Developers, Applications
onetSoftware Developers, Systems Software
majorComputer and Information Sciences, General