Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, theaters, factories, and other structural property.
- Architectural Designer
- Architectural Project Manager
- Architectural Superintendent
- Building Architect
- Building Architectural Designer
- Building Consultant
- City Designer
- Commercial Green Building Architect
- Commercial Green Building Designer
- Plan or design structures such as residences, office buildings, theatres, factories, or other structural properties in accordance with environmental, safety, or other regulations.
- Perform predesign services, such as feasibility or environmental impact studies.
- Gather information related to projects' environmental sustainability.
- Design structures that incorporate environmentally friendly building practices or concepts, such as Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards.
- Design or plan construction of green building projects to minimize adverse environmental impact or conserve energy.
- Design environmentally sound structural upgrades to existing buildings, such as natural lighting systems, green roofs, or rainwater collection systems.
- Calculate potential energy savings by comparing estimated energy consumption of proposed design to baseline standards.
- Prepare operating and maintenance manuals, studies, or reports.
- Represent clients in obtaining bids or awarding construction contracts.
- Administer construction contracts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $85,790 with most people making between $49,800 and $119,940
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,150 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 3,150 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 50 job openings annually.
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
onetMultimedia Artists and Animators
onetPoets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetFilm and Video Editors
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles