Perform engineering duties in designing, constructing, and testing aircraft, missiles, and spacecraft. May conduct basic and applied research to evaluate adaptability of materials and equipment to aircraft design and manufacture. May recommend improvements in testing equipment and techniques.
- Review aerospace engineering designs to determine how to reduce negative environmental impacts.
- Research new materials to determine quality or conformance to environmental standards.
- Evaluate biofuel performance specifications to determine feasibility for aerospace applications.
- Design or engineer filtration systems that reduce harmful emissions.
- Design new or modify existing aerospace systems to reduce polluting emissions, such as nitrogen oxide, carbon monoxide, or smoke emissions.
- Evaluate and approve selection of vendors by studying past performance or new advertisements.
- Direct research and development programs.
- Formulate mathematical models or other methods of computer analysis to develop, evaluate, or modify design, according to customer engineering requirements.
- Review performance reports and documentation from customers and field engineers, and inspect malfunctioning or damaged products to determine problem.
- Write technical reports or other documentation, such as handbooks or bulletins, for use by engineering staff, management, or customers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $112,800 with most people making between $67,230 and $157,090
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 1,650 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 2,010 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 36 openings due to growth and about 34 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
collegeCalifornia Institute of Technology
majorElectrical and Electronics Engineering
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorAerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering