Apply knowledge of engineering technology and biological science to agricultural problems concerned with power and machinery, electrification, structures, soil and water conservation, and processing of agricultural products.
- Test Engineer
- Supplier Quality Engineer (SQE)
- Research Leader
- Research Agricultural Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Product Technology Scientist
- Plan Service Engineer
- Permaculture Designer
- Landscape Irrigation Science Professor
- Design sensing, measuring, and recording devices, and other instrumentation used to study plant or animal life.
- Meet with clients such as district or regional councils, farmers, and developers, to discuss their needs.
- Conduct educational programs that provide farmers or farm cooperative members with information that can help them improve agricultural productivity.
- Visit sites to observe environmental problems, to consult with contractors, or to monitor construction activities.
- Test agricultural machinery and equipment to ensure adequate performance.
- Design structures for crop storage, animal shelter and loading, and animal and crop processing, and supervise their construction.
- Supervise food processing or manufacturing plant operations.
- Plan and direct construction of rural electric-power distribution systems, and irrigation, drainage, and flood control systems for soil and water conservation.
- Design food processing plants and related mechanical systems.
- Discuss plans with clients, contractors, consultants, and other engineers so that they can be evaluated and necessary changes made.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2009, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $71,500 with most people making between $47,770 and $122,620
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
onetArchitects, Except Landscape and Naval
majorAerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of Southern California