Research, design, develop, test, or supervise the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment, components, or systems for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use.
- Integrate electrical systems with renewable energy systems to improve overall efficiency.
- Develop systems that produce electricity using renewable energy sources, such as wind, solar, or biofuels.
- Design electrical systems or components that minimize electric energy requirements, such as lighting systems designed to account for natural lighting.
- Collect data relating to commercial or residential development, population, or power system interconnection to determine operating efficiency of electrical systems.
- Assist in developing capital project programs for new equipment or major repairs.
- Conduct field surveys or study maps, graphs, diagrams, or other data to identify and correct power system problems.
- Inspect completed installations and observe operations to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with operational and safety standards.
- Plan layout of electric power generating plants or distribution lines or stations.
- Investigate or test vendors' or competitors' products.
- Supervise or train project team members as necessary.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $95,690 with most people making between $62,710 and $135,990
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 4,250 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 3,900 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 100 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeCalifornia Institute of Technology
majorCivil Engineering, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
majorAerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering
majorElectrical and Electronics Engineering