Research causes of fires, determine fire protection methods, and design or recommend materials or equipment such as structural components or fire-detection equipment to assist organizations in safeguarding life and property against fire, explosion, and related hazards.
- Evaluate fire department performance and the laws and regulations affecting fire prevention or fire safety.
- Attend workshops, seminars, or conferences to present or obtain information regarding fire prevention and protection.
- Conduct research on fire retardants and the fire safety of materials and devices.
- Develop training materials and conduct training sessions on fire protection.
- Study the relationships between ignition sources and materials to determine how fires start.
- Consult with authorities to discuss safety regulations and to recommend changes as necessary.
- Develop plans for the prevention of destruction by fire, wind, and water.
- Direct the purchase, modification, installation, maintenance, and operation of fire protection systems.
- Determine causes of fires and ways in which they could have been prevented.
- Prepare and write reports detailing specific fire prevention and protection issues, such as work performed, revised codes or standards, and proposed review schedules.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2014, the average annual wage in United States was $84,850 with most people making between $48,260 and $126,850
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 24,100 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 26,700 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 260 openings due to growth and about 710 replacement openings for approximately 970 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-San Diego
majorFire Prevention and Safety Technology/Technician
onetDietitians and Nutritionists
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetCriminal Investigators and Special Agents
majorEnvironmental/Environmental Health Engineering
collegeCalifornia State University-Sacramento