Develop and conduct tests to evaluate product safety levels and recommend measures to reduce or eliminate hazards.
- Extra Vehicular Activity Safety Engineer (EVA Engineer)
- Product Safety Consultant
- Product Safety Coordinator
- Product Safety Engineer
- Product Safety Manager
- Product Safety Test Engineer
- Product Safety Tester
- System Safety Engineer
- Investigate causes of accidents, injuries, or illnesses related to product usage in order to develop solutions to minimize or prevent recurrence.
- Evaluate potential health hazards or damage that could occur from product misuse.
- Participate in preparation of product usage and precautionary label instructions.
- Recommend procedures for detection, prevention, and elimination of physical, chemical, or other product hazards.
- Report accident investigation findings.
- Conduct research to evaluate safety levels for products.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $93,940 with most people making between $62,220 and $133,210
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 460 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 480 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 18 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Information Security Analysts
- Computer Network Architects
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers
- Chemical Engineers
- Transportation Engineers
- Computer Hardware Engineers
- Fire-Prevention and Protection Engineers
- Mining and Geological Engineers, Including Mining Safety Engineers
- Nuclear Engineers
- Petroleum Engineers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorEnvironmental/Environmental Health Engineering
collegeAmerican River College
majorAerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering
collegeCalifornia State University-Sacramento
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo