Design and oversee construction and repair of marine craft and floating structures such as ships, barges, tugs, dredges, submarines, torpedoes, floats, and buoys. May confer with marine engineers.
- Boat Designer
- Engineering Manager
- Marine Architect
- Marine Engineer
- Marine Structural Designer
- Naval Architect
- Naval Architect Specialist
- Piping Designer
- Structural Designer
- Oversee construction and testing of prototype in model basin and develop sectional and waterline curves of hull to establish center of gravity, ideal hull form, and buoyancy and stability data.
- Evaluate performance of craft during dock and sea trials to determine design changes and conformance with national and international standards.
- Confer with marine engineering personnel to establish arrangement of boiler room equipment and propulsion machinery, heating and ventilating systems, refrigeration equipment, piping, and other functional equipment.
- Study design proposals and specifications to establish basic characteristics of craft, such as size, weight, speed, propulsion, displacement, and draft.
- Design layout of craft interior, including cargo space, passenger compartments, ladder wells, and elevators.
- Design complete hull and superstructure according to specifications and test data, in conformity with standards of safety, efficiency, and economy.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $92,310 with most people making between $49,920 and $140,050
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 150 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 100 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Architectural and Engineering Managers
- Architects, Except Landscape and Naval
- Aerospace Engineers
- Civil Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Industrial Safety and Health Engineers
- Materials Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Nuclear Engineers
- Electrical Drafters
- Electrical Engineering Technicians
- Mechanical Engineering Technicians
majorAerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering
majorNaval Architecture and Marine Engineering
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
onetArchitects, Except Landscape and Naval
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorMarine Biology and Biological Oceanography