Devise methods to improve oil and gas extraction and production and determine the need for new or modified tool designs. Oversee drilling and offer technical advice.
- Test machinery and equipment to ensure that it is safe and conforms to performance specifications.
- Design or modify mining and oil field machinery and tools, applying engineering principles.
- Conduct engineering research experiments to improve or modify mining and oil machinery and operations.
- Inspect oil and gas wells to determine that installations are completed.
- Supervise the removal of drilling equipment, the removal of any waste, and the safe return of land to structural stability when wells or pockets are exhausted.
- Take samples to assess the amount and quality of oil, the depth at which resources lie, and the equipment needed to properly extract them.
- Coordinate activities of workers engaged in research, planning, and development.
- Design and implement environmental controls on oil and gas operations.
- Simulate reservoir performance for different recovery techniques, using computer models.
- Evaluate findings to develop, design, or test equipment or processes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $155,450
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 210 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 220 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Architectural and Engineering Managers
- Aerospace Engineers
- Civil Engineers
- Industrial Engineers
- Marine Engineers
- Marine Architects
- Mechanical Engineers
- Mining and Geological Engineers, Including Mining Safety Engineers
- Nuclear Engineers
- Industrial Engineering Technicians
- Mechanical Engineering Technicians
- Geoscientists, Except Hydrologists and Geographers
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorCivil Engineering, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorAerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering