Prepare drawings and topographical and relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, pipelines, flood control projects, and water and sewerage control systems.
- Truss Designer
- Steel Detailer
- Plumbing Designer
- Geophysical Drafter
- Geological Drafter
- Drafting Technician
- Directional Survey Drafter
- Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Operator (CADD Operator)
- Plot characteristics of boreholes for oil and gas wells from photographic subsurface survey recordings and other data, representing depth, degree and direction of inclination.
- Explain drawings to production or construction teams and provide adjustments as necessary.
- Supervise or conduct field surveys, inspections or technical investigations to obtain data required to revise construction drawings.
- Calculate weights, volumes, and stress factors and their implications for technical aspects of designs.
- Locate and identify symbols located on topographical surveys to denote geological and geophysical formations or oil field installations.
- Determine quality, cost, strength and quantity of required materials, and enter figures on materials lists.
- Correlate, interpret, and modify data obtained from topographical surveys, well logs, and geophysical prospecting reports.
- Supervise and train other technologists, technicians and drafters.
- Calculate excavation tonnage and prepare graphs and fill-hauling diagrams for use in earth-moving operations.
- Review rough sketches, drawings, specifications, and other engineering data received from civil engineers to ensure that they conform to design concepts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $55,800 with most people making between $34,530 and $78,810
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 1,930 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,870 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
collegeSan Joaquin Delta College
majorCivil Drafting and Civil Engineering CAD/CADD
majorDrafting and Design Technology/Technician, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorCivil Engineering, General
majorCAD/CADD Drafting and/or Design Technology/Technician