Prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
- Aeronautical Drafter
- Autocad Designer
- Autocad Technician
- Auto Design Detailer
- Automotive Design Drafter
- Automotive Design Layout Drafter
- Body Design Checker
- Body Designer
- CAD/CAM Specialist (Computer Aided Design/Computer Aided Manufacturing Specialist)
- CADD Drafter (Computer-Aided Design and Drafting Drafter)
- Shade or color drawings to clarify and emphasize details and dimensions or eliminate background using ink, crayon, airbrush, and overlays.
- Draw freehand sketches of designs, trace finished drawings onto designated paper for the reproduction of blueprints, and reproduce working drawings on copy machines.
- Supervise and train other drafters, technologists, and technicians.
- Confer with customer representatives to review schematics and answer questions pertaining to installation of systems.
- Design scale or full-size blueprints of specialty items such as furniture and automobile body or chassis components.
- Lay out, draw, and reproduce illustrations for reference manuals and technical publications to describe operation and maintenance of mechanical systems.
- Position instructions and comments onto drawings.
- Compute mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery using computer-assisted equipment.
- Modify and revise designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Review and analyze specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $59,290 with most people making between $33,600 and $91,670
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 2,000 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,800 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
majorDrafting and Design Technology/Technician, General
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
collegeCalifornia Institute of Technology
collegeAthens Technical College
majorCAD/CADD Drafting and/or Design Technology/Technician
majorMechanical Drafting and Mechanical Drafting CAD/CADD