Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
- Conduct materials test and analysis using tools and equipment and applying engineering knowledge.
- Plan and conduct field surveys to locate new sites and analyze details of project sites.
- Analyze proposed site factors and design maps, graphs, tracings, and diagrams to illustrate findings.
- Evaluate facility to determine suitability for occupancy and square footage availability.
- Report maintenance problems occurring at project site to supervisor and negotiate changes to resolve system conflicts.
- Respond to public suggestions and complaints.
- Prepare reports and document project activities and data.
- Develop plans and estimate costs for installation of systems, utilization of facilities, or construction of structures.
- Inspect project site and evaluate contractor work to detect design malfunctions and ensure conformance to design specifications and applicable codes.
- Confer with supervisor to determine project details such as plan preparation, acceptance testing, and evaluation of field conditions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2014, the average annual wage in United States was $50,290 with most people making between $31,060 and $73,860
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 73,100 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 73,600 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 50 openings due to growth and about 1,510 replacement openings for approximately 1,560 total annual openings.
- Architects, Except Landscape and Naval
- Landscape Architects
- Civil Engineers
- Materials Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Mining and Geological Engineers, Including Mining Safety Engineers
- Architectural Drafters
- Civil Drafters
- Electrical Drafters
- Mechanical Drafters
- Electrical Engineering Technicians
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
majorCivil Engineering, General
majorBuilding Construction Technology
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
majorConstruction Engineering Technology/Technician
majorCivil Engineering Technology/Technician