Study the origin, development, and operation of political systems. May study topics, such as public opinion, political decision-making, and ideology. May analyze the structure and operation of governments, as well as various political entities. May conduct public opinion surveys, analyze election results, or analyze public documents.
- Technical Director
- State-Federal Relations Deputy Director
- Political Science Professor
- Political Researcher
- Political Research Scientist
- Political Consultant
- Political Analyst
- Political Aide
- Provide media commentary and/or criticism related to public policy and political issues and events.
- Consult with and advise government officials, civic bodies, research agencies, the media, political parties, and others concerned with political issues.
- Forecast political, economic, and social trends.
- Write drafts of legislative proposals, and prepare speeches, correspondence, and policy papers for governmental use.
- Evaluate programs and policies, and make related recommendations to institutions and organizations.
- Interpret and analyze policies, public issues, legislation, and/or the operations of governments, businesses, and organizations.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data such as election results and public opinion surveys; report on findings, recommendations, and conclusions.
- Maintain current knowledge of government policy decisions.
- Develop and test theories, using information from interviews, newspapers, periodicals, case law, historical papers, polls, and/or statistical sources.
- Identify issues for research and analysis.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IAS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- History and Archeology - Knowledge of historical events and their causes, indicators, and effects on civilizations and cultures.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
New Jersey wage information is not available
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 10 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 10 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorAmerican Government and Politics (United States)
majorPolitical Science and Government, General