Counsel individuals and provide group educational and vocational guidance services.
- Sponsor extracurricular activities such as clubs, student organizations, and academic contests.
- Provide information for teachers and staff members involved in helping students or graduates identify and pursue employment opportunities.
- Establish and supervise peer counseling and peer tutoring programs.
- Provide disabled students with assistive devices, supportive technology, and assistance accessing facilities such as restrooms.
- Supervise, train, and direct professional staff and interns.
- Plan, direct, and participate in recruitment and enrollment activities.
- Establish contacts with employers to create internship and employment opportunities for students.
- Refer qualified counselees to employers or employment services for job placement.
- Interview clients to obtain information about employment history, educational background, and career goals, and to identify barriers to employment.
- Refer students to degree programs based on interests, aptitudes, or educational assessments.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: S.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $71,210 with most people making between $45,900 and $101,470
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 5,880 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 6,190 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 31 openings due to growth and about 129 replacement openings for approximately 160 total annual openings.
- Human Resources Specialists
- School Psychologists
- Counseling Psychologists
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers
- Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
- Special Education Teachers, Preschool
- Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School
- Special Education Teachers, Middle School
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Occupational Therapy Aides
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
majorCollege Student Counseling and Personnel Services
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
onetProbation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
collegeSan Diego State University
majorCounselor Education/School Counseling and Guidance Services