Provide and manage health education programs that help individuals, families, and their communities maximize and maintain healthy lifestyles. Collect and analyze data to identify community needs prior to planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating programs designed to encourage healthy lifestyles, policies, and environments. May serve as a resource to assist individuals, other healthcare workers, or the community, and may administer fiscal resources for health education programs.
- Tobacco Prevention Health Educator
- Tobacco Educator
- Risk Reduction Counselor
- Public Health Technologist
- Public Health Specialist
- Public Health Representative
- Public Health Educator/Latino Outreach Coordinator
- Public Health Educator
- Public Health Analyst
- Public Health Advisor
- Develop and maintain health education libraries to provide resources for staff and community agencies.
- Develop, prepare, and coordinate grant applications and grant-related activities to obtain funding for health education programs and related work.
- Develop, conduct, or coordinate health needs assessments and other public health surveys.
- Design and administer training programs for new employees and continuing education for existing employees.
- Provide program information to the public by preparing and presenting press releases, conducting media campaigns, or maintaining program-related web sites.
- Develop operational plans and policies necessary to achieve health education objectives and services.
- Design and conduct evaluations and diagnostic studies to assess the quality and performance of health education programs.
- Maintain databases, mailing lists, telephone networks, and other information to facilitate the functioning of health education programs.
- Provide guidance to agencies and organizations on assessment of health education needs and on development and delivery of health education programs.
- Collaborate with health specialists and civic groups to determine community health needs and the availability of services and to develop goals for meeting needs.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $53,800 with most people making between $28,680 and $87,770
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 63,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 86,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,000 openings due to growth and about 34,000 replacement openings for approximately 36,000 total annual openings.
- Advertising and Promotions Managers
- Educational, Guidance, School, and Vocational Counselors
- Directors, Religious Activities and Education
- Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Vocational Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education
- Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
- Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Middle School
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Special Education Teachers, Preschool
- Special Education Teachers, Kindergarten and Elementary School
- Special Education Teachers, Middle School
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors
- Self-Enrichment Education Teachers
- Instructional Coordinators
- Teacher Assistants
- Dietitians and Nutritionists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Occupational Therapy Aides
collegeUniversity of California-San Francisco
collegeSan Diego State University
majorPublic Health Education and Promotion
collegeLoma Linda University
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
onetEducational, Guidance, School, and Vocational Counselors
majorPublic Health, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetHealthcare Social Workers