Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Trigonometry Teacher
- Topology Teacher
- Topology Professor
- Statistics Teacher
- Statistics Professor
- Statistical Methods Teacher
- Statistical Methods Professor
- Science Instructor
- Sampling Theory Teacher
- Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Select and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $83,420 with most people making between $39,770 and $145,850
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 1,050 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,110 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 6 openings due to growth and about 14 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeSanta Clara University
majorApplied Mathematics, General
majorMathematics Teacher Education
majorAlgebra and Number Theory
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
onetElementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
collegeUniversity of Southern California