Teach courses pertaining to education, such as counseling, curriculum, guidance, instruction, teacher education, and teaching English as a second language. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Visual Educator
- Visual Education Teacher
- Teacher Education Instructor
- Teacher Education Director
- Student Teaching Coordinator
- Special Education Professor
- Secondary Education Professor
- Science Education Professor
- Professor of Education
- Professor of Counseling
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Serve as a liaison between the university and other governmental and educational agencies.
- Perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Advise and instruct teachers employed in school systems by providing activities such as in-service seminars.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SAI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $65,630 with most people making between $30,490 and $108,640
United States projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
onetElementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
onetArt, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeSan Jose State University
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorArt Teacher Education
majorMathematics Teacher Education
onetKindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
onetMiddle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
majorPhysical Education Teaching and Coaching