Teach courses in childcare, family relations, finance, nutrition, and related subjects pertaining to home management. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Adjunct Faculty
- Adjunct Professor
- Assistant Professor
- Assistant Professor in Family Studies
- Assistant Professor of Dietetics
- Assistant Professor of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Associate Professor
- Child Development Instructor
- Clothing and Textiles Teacher
- College or University Faculty Member
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory work, projects, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as food science, nutrition, and child care.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
- Advise students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $67,110 with most people making between $32,990 and $108,790
United States projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeSan Francisco State University
onetDietitians and Nutritionists
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeYoungstown State University
majorFamily and Consumer Sciences/Home Economics Teacher Education
majorFamily and Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences, General
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorEarly Childhood Education and Teaching
majorChild Care and Support Services Management
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers