Teach courses in childcare, family relations, finance, nutrition, and related subjects pertaining to home management. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Adjunct Faculty
- Adjunct Professor
- Assistant Professor
- Assistant Professor in Family Studies
- Assistant Professor of Dietetics
- Assistant Professor of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Associate Professor
- Child Development Instructor
- Clothing and Textiles Teacher
- College or University Faculty Member
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $60,000 with most people making between $40,410 and $91,130
Washington projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeSan Francisco State University
onetDietitians and Nutritionists
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeYoungstown State University
majorFamily and Consumer Sciences/Home Economics Teacher Education
majorFamily and Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences, General
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorEarly Childhood Education and Teaching
majorChild Care and Support Services Management
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers