Teach students in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies at the secondary level in public or private schools. May be designated according to subject matter specialty.
- Accounting Teacher
- Algebra Teacher
- Art Educator
- Art Instructor
- Art Teacher
- Arts and Crafts Teacher
- Athletic Coach
- Athletic Instructor
- Athletics Teacher
- Ballet Teacher
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Instruct through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Enforce all administration policies and rules governing students.
- Assign and grade class work and homework.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Observe and evaluate students' performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SAE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $70,870 with most people making between $50,220 and $99,720
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 40,750 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 42,550 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 185 openings due to growth and about 1,185 replacement openings for approximately 1,370 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeSanta Clara University
collegeAmerican River College
onetElementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
majorEnglish/Language Arts Teacher Education
majorPhysical Education Teaching and Coaching
onetKindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
onetMiddle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorSecondary Education and Teaching
majorMathematics Teacher Education