Teach students in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies at the secondary level in public or private schools. May be designated according to subject matter specialty.
- World Language Teacher
- World History Teacher
- Voice Teacher
- Vocal Teacher
- Violin Teacher
- Typing Teacher
- Trigonometry Teacher
- Theatre Director
- Theater Teacher
- Tennis Coach
- Provide disabled students with assistive devices, supportive technology, and assistance accessing facilities such as restrooms.
- Perform administrative duties such as assisting in school libraries, hall and cafeteria monitoring, and bus loading and unloading.
- Select, store, order, issue, and inventory classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Administer standardized ability and achievement tests and interpret results to determine students' strengths and areas of need.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Plan and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guest speakers, or other experiential activities, and guide students in learning from those activities.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees, as required.
- Sponsor extracurricular activities such as clubs, student organizations, and academic contests.
- Collaborate with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation, and revision of secondary school programs.
- Prepare reports on students and activities as required by administration.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SAE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $70,870 with most people making between $50,220 and $99,720
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 40,750 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 42,550 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 185 openings due to growth and about 1,185 replacement openings for approximately 1,370 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeSanta Clara University
collegeAmerican River College
onetElementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
majorEnglish/Language Arts Teacher Education
majorPhysical Education Teaching and Coaching
onetKindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
onetMiddle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorSecondary Education and Teaching
majorMathematics Teacher Education