Teach or instruct out-of-school youths and adults in remedial education classes, preparatory classes for the General Educational Development test, literacy, or English as a Second Language. Teaching may or may not take place in a traditional educational institution.
- Adult Basic Education Instructor (ABE Instructor)
- Adult Basic Education Teacher (ABE Teacher)
- Adult Basic Studies Teacher
- Adult Education Instructor
- Adult Education Teacher
- Adult Educator
- Adult High School Instructor
- Adult Literacy Instructor
- Adult Literacy Teacher
- Adult Remedial Education Instructor
- Write instructional articles on designated subjects.
- Advise students on internships, prospective employers, and job placement services.
- Train and assist tutors and community literacy volunteers.
- Observe and evaluate the performance of other instructors.
- Confer with leaders of government and community groups to coordinate student training or to find opportunities for students to fulfill curriculum requirements.
- Select and schedule class times to ensure maximum attendance.
- Write grants to obtain program funding.
- Provide disabled students with assistive devices, supportive technology, and assistance accessing facilities such as restrooms.
- Provide information, guidance, and preparation for the General Equivalency Diploma (GED) examination.
- Participate in publicity planning, community awareness efforts, and student recruitment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SAE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $48,100 with most people making between $31,580 and $67,040
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 5,080 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 5,720 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 64 openings due to growth and about 86 replacement openings for approximately 150 total annual openings.
collegeSan Diego State University
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeAmerican River College
majorAdult Literacy Tutor/Instructor
majorAdult and Continuing Education and Teaching
onetKindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
majorTeaching English as a Second or Foreign Language/ESL Language Instructor
onetSelf-Enrichment Education Teachers
collegeLoma Linda University