Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches for visual communications media, such as print, broadcasting, and advertising. Direct workers engaged in art work or layout design.
- Art Coordinator
- Art Department Head
- Art Director
- Artistic Director
- Arts Administrator
- Arts Manager
- Art Supervisor
- Associate Creative Director ACD Art Director
- Creative/Art Director
- Creative Director
- Prepare detailed storyboards showing sequence and timing of story development for television production.
- Conceptualize and help design interfaces for multimedia games, products, and devices.
- Mark up, paste, and complete layouts and write typography instructions to prepare materials for typesetting or printing.
- Hire, train, and direct staff members who develop design concepts into art layouts or who prepare layouts for printing.
- Research current trends and new technology, such as printing production techniques, computer software, and design trends.
- Attend photo shoots and printing sessions to ensure that the products needed are obtained.
- Review illustrative material to determine if it conforms to standards and specifications.
- Confer with clients to determine objectives, budget, background information, and presentation approaches, styles, and techniques.
- Create custom illustrations or other graphic elements.
- Work with creative directors to develop design solutions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $98,860 with most people making between $56,600 and $144,970
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,970 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 2,240 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 27 openings due to growth and about 43 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
- Advertising and Promotions Managers
- Landscape Architects
- Audio-Visual and Multimedia Collections Specialists
- Commercial and Industrial Designers
- Fashion Designers
- Graphic Designers
- Interior Designers
- Set and Exhibit Designers
- Directors- Stage, Motion Pictures, Television, and Radio
- Music Directors
- Music Composers and Arrangers
- Audio and Video Equipment Technicians
collegeArt Center College of Design
collegeCalifornia College of the Arts
onetFilm and Video Editors
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach