Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, television, or radio programs.
- Artistic Director
- Assistant Director
- Associate Artistic Director
- Commercial Director
- Creative Director
- Drama Director
- Dramatic Coach
- Dramatic Director
- Supervise and coordinate the work of camera, lighting, design, and sound crewmembers.
- Plan details such as framing, composition, camera movement, sound, and actor movement for each shot or scene.
- Direct live broadcasts, films and recordings, or non-broadcast programming for public entertainment or education.
- Confer with technical directors, managers, crew members, and writers to discuss details of production, such as photography, script, music, sets, and costumes.
- Compile cue words and phrases, and cue announcers, cast members, and technicians during performances.
- Establish pace of programs and sequences of scenes according to time requirements and cast and set accessibility.
- Identify and approve equipment and elements required for productions, such as scenery, lights, props, costumes, choreography, and music.
- Consult with writers, producers, or actors about script changes, or workshop scripts, through rehearsal with writers and actors to create final drafts.
- Select plays or scripts for production, and determine how material should be interpreted and performed.
- Study and research scripts to determine how they should be directed.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Recognition and Achievement in their jobs.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $82,140 with most people making between $31,360 and $125,830
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,650 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,600 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
collegeCalifornia Institute of the Arts
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
onetFilm and Video Editors
majorCinematography and Film/Video Production
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorRadio and Television
majorDirecting and Theatrical Production