Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Creative Director
- Film Composer
- Jingle Writer
- Music Adapter
- Music Arranger
- Music Composer
- Music Orchestrator
- Apply elements of music theory to create musical and tonal structures, including harmonies and melodies.
- Use computers and synthesizers to compose, orchestrate, and arrange music.
- Determine voices, instruments, harmonic structures, rhythms, tempos, and tone balances required to achieve the effects desired in a musical composition.
- Experiment with different sounds, and types and pieces of music, using synthesizers and computers as necessary to test and evaluate ideas.
- Write changes directly into compositions, or use computer software to make changes.
- Transcribe ideas for musical compositions into musical notation, using instruments, pen and paper, or computers.
- Guide musicians during rehearsals, performances, or recording sessions.
- Score compositions so that they are consistent with instrumental and vocal capabilities such as ranges and keys, using knowledge of music theory.
- Write musical scores for orchestras, bands, choral groups, or individual instrumentalists or vocalists, using knowledge of music theory and of instrumental and vocal capabilities.
- Confer with producers and directors to define the nature and placement of film or television music.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $54,560 with most people making between $22,130 and $87,970
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 93,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 102,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 32,000 replacement openings for approximately 32,000 total annual openings.
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorMusic Theory and Composition
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia Institute of the Arts
collegeSan Francisco Conservatory of Music
onetFilm and Video Editors
onetPoets, Lyricists and Creative Writers