Make announcements over public address system at sporting or other public events. May act as master of ceremonies or disc jockey at weddings, parties, clubs, or other gathering places.
- Train Caller
- Train Announcer
- Track Announcer
- Sports Announcer
- Public Address Announcer
- Motion Picture Narrator
- Mobile Disc Jockey (Mobile DJ)
- Master of Ceremonies (MC)
- Furnish information concerning plays to scoreboard operators.
- Organize team information, such as statistics and tournament records, to ensure accessibility for use during events.
- Provide running commentaries of event activities, such as play-by-play descriptions or explanations of official decisions.
- Review and announce crowd control procedures before the beginning of each event.
- Study the layout of an event venue to be able to give accurate directions in the event of an emergency.
- Learn to pronounce the names of players, coaches, institutional personnel, officials, and other individuals involved in an event.
- Instruct and calm crowds during emergencies.
- Improvise commentary on items of interest, such as background and history of an event or past records of participants.
- Read prepared scripts describing acts or tricks presented during performances.
- Announce programs and player substitutions or other changes to patrons.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SEA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $48,950 with most people making between $18,490 and $78,360
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 300 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 310 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
onetPublic Relations Specialists
majorRadio and Television
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetRadio and Television Announcers
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
majorSpeech Communication and Rhetoric
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeSan Jose State University