Make announcements over public address system at sporting or other public events. May act as master of ceremonies or disc jockey at weddings, parties, clubs, or other gathering places.
- Bingo Caller
- Commercial Announcer
- Disc Jockey (DJ)
- Event Planner
- Greet attendees and serve as masters of ceremonies at banquets, store openings, and other events.
- Preview any music intended to be broadcast over the public address system.
- Inform patrons of coming events at a specific venue.
- Meet with event directors to review schedules and exchange information about details, such as national anthem performers and starting lineups.
- Announce programs and player substitutions or other changes to patrons.
- Read prepared scripts describing acts or tricks presented during performances.
- Improvise commentary on items of interest, such as background and history of an event or past records of participants.
- Instruct and calm crowds during emergencies.
- Learn to pronounce the names of players, coaches, institutional personnel, officials, and other individuals involved in an event.
- Study the layout of an event venue to be able to give accurate directions in the event of an emergency.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SEA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $38,690 with most people making between $17,210 and $67,720
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 11,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 12,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 3,000 replacement openings for approximately 3,000 total annual openings.
onetPublic Relations Specialists
majorRadio and Television
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetRadio and Television Announcers
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
majorSpeech Communication and Rhetoric
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeSan Jose State University