Plan, coordinate, or edit content of material for publication. May review proposals and drafts for possible publication. Includes technical editors.
- Legal Editor
- Advertising Editor
- Art Editor
- Assignment Editor
- Avid Editor
- Book Editor
- Bureau Chief
- Business Editor
- City Editor
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
- Review and approve proofs submitted by composing room prior to publication production.
- Supervise and coordinate work of reporters and other editors.
- Plan the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AEC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $69,680 with most people making between $35,270 and $111,870
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,750 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 3,250 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 100 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
onetPoets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
onetFilm and Video Editors
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorCinematography and Film/Video Production
collegeUniversity of Southern California