Plan, coordinate, or edit content of material for publication. May review proposals and drafts for possible publication. Includes technical editors.
- Web Editor
- Telegraph Editor
- Technical Editor
- Story Reader
- Story Editor
- Sports Editor
- Society Editor
- Slot Editor
- Script Reader
- Script Editor
- Arrange for copyright permissions.
- Read material to determine index items and arrange them alphabetically or topically, indicating page or chapter location.
- Direct the policies and departments of newspapers, magazines and other publishing establishments.
- Interview and hire writers and reporters or negotiate contracts, royalties, and payments for authors or freelancers.
- Select local, state, national, and international news items received from wire services, based on assessment of items' significance and interest value.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Meet frequently with artists, typesetters, layout personnel, marketing directors, and production managers to discuss projects and resolve problems.
- Confer with management and editorial staff members regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
- Assign topics, events and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage.
- Make manuscript acceptance or revision recommendations to the publisher.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AEC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $69,680 with most people making between $35,270 and $111,870
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,750 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 3,250 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 100 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
onetPoets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
onetFilm and Video Editors
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorCinematography and Film/Video Production
collegeUniversity of Southern California