Set up, or set up and operate audio and video equipment including microphones, sound speakers, video screens, projectors, video monitors, recording equipment, connecting wires and cables, sound and mixing boards, and related electronic equipment for concerts, sports events, meetings and conventions, presentations, and news conferences. May also set up and operate associated spotlights and other custom lighting systems.
- Obtain and preview musical performance programs prior to events to become familiar with the order and approximate times of pieces.
- Develop manuals, texts, workbooks, or related materials for use in conjunction with production materials or for training.
- Plan and develop pre-production ideas into outlines, scripts, story boards, and graphics, using own ideas or specifications of assignments.
- Produce rough and finished graphics and graphic designs.
- Locate and secure settings, properties, effects, and other production necessities.
- Edit videotapes by erasing and removing portions of programs and adding video or sound as required.
- Perform narration of productions, or present announcements.
- Construct and position properties, sets, lighting equipment, and other equipment.
- Organize and maintain compliance, license, and warranty information related to audio and video facilities.
- Inform users of audio and videotaping service policies and procedures.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $54,770 with most people making between $32,470 and $81,260
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 2,000 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 2,050 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 70 job openings annually.
majorPhotographic and Film/Video Technology/Technician and Assistant
onetSound Engineering Technicians
collegeLong Beach City College
onetFilm and Video Editors
majorRecording Arts Technology/Technician
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia Institute of the Arts
majorAnimation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics and Special Effects
onetCamera Operators, Television, Video, and Motion Picture