Receive and transmit communications using radiotelephone equipment in accordance with government regulations. May repair equipment.
- Aircraft Dispatcher
- Airline Operations Agent
- Airline Radio Operator
- Avionics Supervisor
- Centrex Radio Operator
- Communications Specialist
- Communications Technician
- Continuous Wave Operator (CW Operator)
- Electronic Intelligence Operations Specialist
- Monitor emergency frequencies in order to detect distress calls and respond by dispatching emergency equipment.
- Communicate with receiving operators in order to exchange transmission instructions.
- Operate radio equipment in order to communicate with ships, aircraft, mining crews, offshore oil rigs, logging camps and other remote operations.
- Broadcast weather reports and warnings.
- Maintain station logs of messages transmitted and received for activities such as flight testing and fire locations.
- Conduct periodic equipment inspections and routine tests in order to ensure that operations standards are met.
- Turn controls or throw switches in order to activate power, adjust voice volume and modulation, and set transmitters on specified frequencies.
- Operate sound-recording equipment in order to record signals and preserve broadcasts for purposes such as analysis by intelligence personnel.
- Send, receive, and interpret coded messages.
- Repair radio equipment as necessary, using electronic testing equipment, hand tools, and power tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
Washington wage information is not available
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in Washington. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
majorCommunications Systems Installation and Repair Technology
onetRadio and Television Announcers
collegeOtis College of Art and Design
collegeRensselaer Polytechnic Institute
majorRadio and Television
onetAthletes and Sports Competitors
collegeAntioch University-Los Angeles
collegeSan Diego Miramar College
onetFilm and Video Editors