Operate machines and equipment to record, synchronize, mix, or reproduce music, voices, or sound effects in sporting arenas, theater productions, recording studios, or movie and video productions.
- Acoustical Engineer
- Audio Engineer
- Audio Operator
- Audio Production Manager
- Audio Recording Engineer
- Broadcast Engineer
- Broadcast Technician
- Disc Recordist
- Dub Room Engineer
- Create musical instrument digital interface programs for music projects, commercials, or film postproduction.
- Tear down equipment after event completion.
- Reproduce and duplicate sound recordings from original recording media, using sound editing and duplication equipment.
- Convert video and audio recordings into digital formats for editing or archiving.
- Synchronize and equalize prerecorded dialogue, music, and sound effects with visual action of motion pictures or television productions, using control consoles.
- Set up, test, and adjust recording equipment for recording sessions and live performances.
- Report equipment problems and ensure that required repairs are made.
- Keep logs of recordings.
- Mix and edit voices, music, and taped sound effects for live performances and for prerecorded events, using sound mixing boards.
- Separate instruments, vocals, and other sounds, and combine sounds later during the mixing or postproduction stage.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $47,170 with most people making between $32,090 and $64,720
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 400 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 400 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 10 job openings annually.
collegeSan Diego State University
onetCamera Operators, Television, Video, and Motion Picture
collegeCalifornia Institute of the Arts
onetFilm and Video Editors
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeAmerican River College
majorRecording Arts Technology/Technician