Edit moving images on film, video, or other media. May edit or synchronize soundtracks with images.
- Assistant Film Editor
- Associate Producer
- Commercial Producer
- Cue Selector
- Digital Editor
- Electronic News Gathering Editor (ENG Editor)
- Film Editor
- Film Editor Supervisor
- Discuss the sound requirements of pictures with sound effects editors.
- Estimate how long audiences watching comedies will laugh at each gag line or situation, to space scenes appropriately.
- Develop post-production models for films.
- Study scripts to become familiar with production concepts and requirements.
- Collaborate with music editors to select appropriate passages of music and develop production scores.
- Conduct film screenings for directors and members of production staffs.
- Program computerized graphic effects.
- Manipulate plot, score, sound, and graphics to make the parts into a continuous whole, working closely with people in audio, visual, music, optical or special effects departments.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in film editing, assembling, and recording activities.
- Piece sounds together to develop film soundtracks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AIE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $55,770 with most people making between $30,440 and $75,070
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 390 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 440 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 5 openings due to growth and about 15 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Art, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary
- Audio-Visual and Multimedia Collections Specialists
- Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, and Illustrators
- Directors- Stage, Motion Pictures, Television, and Radio
- Program Directors
- Technical Directors/Managers
- Music Composers and Arrangers
- Musicians, Instrumental
- Poets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
- Audio and Video Equipment Technicians
- Broadcast Technicians
- Sound Engineering Technicians
- Camera Operators, Television, Video, and Motion Picture
- Desktop Publishers
onetPoets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeCalifornia Institute of the Arts
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorCinematography and Film/Video Production
majorRadio and Television