Assess, treat, and care for patients by manipulation of spine and musculoskeletal system. May provide spinal adjustment or address sacral or pelvic misalignment.
- Chiropractic Doctor (DC)
- Chiropractic Neurologist
- Chiropractic Physician
- Doctor of Chiropractic
- Suggest and apply the use of supports such as straps, tapes, bandages, or braces if necessary.
- Recommend and arrange for diagnostic procedures, such as blood chemistry tests, saliva tests, x-rays, or other imaging procedures.
- Consult with or refer patients to appropriate health practitioners when necessary.
- Counsel patients about nutrition, exercise, sleeping habits, stress management, or other matters.
- Analyze x-rays to locate the sources of patients' difficulties and to rule out fractures or diseases as sources of problems.
- Advise patients about recommended courses of treatment.
- Maintain accurate case histories of patients.
- Obtain and record patients' medical histories.
- Perform a series of manual adjustments to the spine or other articulations of the body to correct the musculoskeletal system.
- Diagnose health problems by reviewing patients' health and medical histories, questioning, observing, and examining patients and interpreting x-rays.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $101,090 with most people making between $51,090 and $186,400
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,200 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,300 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeSan Diego State University
collegePoint Loma Nazarene University
collegeSouthern California University of Health Sciences