Physicians who provide medical care related to pregnancy or childbirth and those who diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases of women, particularly those affecting the reproductive system. May also provide general medical care to women.
- Physicians and Surgeons
- Physician Obstetrician
- Physician Gynecologist
- Obstetrics Specialist (OB Specialist)
- Obstetrics Gynecology Physician (Ob Gyn Physician)
- Obstetrics Gynecology MD (Ob Gyn MD)
- Obstetrics Gynecology Clinical Practitioner (Ob Gyn Clinical Practitioner)
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Professor (OB/GYN Professor)
- Obstetrician/Gynecologist (OB/GYN)
- Conduct research to develop or test medications, treatments, or procedures to prevent or control disease or injury.
- Prepare government and organizational reports on birth, death, and disease statistics, workforce evaluations, or the medical status of individuals.
- Plan, implement, or administer health programs in hospitals, businesses, or communities for prevention and treatment of injuries or illnesses.
- Consult with or provide consulting services to other physicians.
- Direct and coordinate activities of nurses, students, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff.
- Refer patient to medical specialist or other practitioner when necessary.
- Advise patients and community members concerning diet, activity, hygiene, and disease prevention.
- Monitor patients' conditions and progress and reevaluate treatments as necessary.
- Explain procedures and discuss test results or prescribed treatments with patients.
- Analyze records, reports, test results, or examination information to diagnose medical condition of patient.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ISR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Social and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $227,740
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
majorObstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorPediatrics Residency Program
majorObstetrics and Gynecology