Physicians who diagnose, treat, and help prevent children's diseases and injuries.
- Adolescent Medicine Specialist
- Baby Doctor
- Chief, General Pediatric Clinic
- General Pediatrician
- Group Practice Pediatrician
- Medical Doctor (MD)
- Examine children regularly to assess their growth and development.
- Treat children who have minor illnesses, acute and chronic health problems, and growth and development concerns.
- Collect, record, and maintain patient information, such as medical history, reports, and examination results.
- Prescribe or administer treatment, therapy, medication, vaccination, and other specialized medical care to treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury in infants and children.
- Examine patients or order, perform, and interpret diagnostic tests to obtain information on medical condition and determine diagnosis.
- Advise patients, parents or guardians, and community members concerning diet, activity, hygiene, and disease prevention.
- Explain procedures and discuss test results or prescribed treatments with patients and parents or guardians.
- Monitor patients' conditions and progress and reevaluate treatments as necessary.
- Plan and execute medical care programs to aid in the mental and physical growth and development of children and adolescents.
- Direct and coordinate activities of nurses, students, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Relationships in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $167,920
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
majorPediatrics Residency Program
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
onetFamily and General Practitioners
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles