Physicians who treat diseases, injuries, and deformities by invasive, minimally-invasive, or non-invasive surgical methods, such as using instruments, appliances, or by manual manipulation.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Brain Surgeon
- Cardiac Surgeon
- Cardiothoracic Surgeon
- Cardiovascular Surgeon
- Colon and Rectal Surgeon
- Colorectal Surgeon
- Cosmetic Surgeon
- Conduct research to develop and test surgical techniques that can improve operating procedures and outcomes.
- Examine instruments, equipment, and operating room to ensure sterility.
- Manage surgery services, including planning, scheduling and coordination, determination of procedures, and procurement of supplies and equipment.
- Prepare case histories.
- Refer patient to medical specialist or other practitioners when necessary.
- Direct and coordinate activities of nurses, assistants, specialists, residents, and other medical staff.
- Provide consultation and surgical assistance to other physicians and surgeons.
- Diagnose bodily disorders and orthopedic conditions and provide treatments, such as medicines and surgeries, in clinics, hospital wards, and operating rooms.
- Prescribe preoperative and postoperative treatments and procedures, such as sedatives, diets, antibiotics, and preparation and treatment of the patient's operative area.
- Analyze patient's medical history, medication allergies, physical condition, and examination results to verify operation's necessity and to determine best procedure.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $225,170 with most people making between $124,480 and n/a
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorGeneral Surgery Residency Program
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorPlastic Surgery Residency Program