Assess patient health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records. Administer nursing care to ill, injured, convalescent, or disabled patients. May advise patients on health maintenance and disease prevention or provide case management. Licensing or registration required.
- Work with individuals, groups, or families to plan or implement programs designed to improve the overall health of communities.
- Provide or arrange for training or instruction of auxiliary personnel or students.
- Perform administrative or managerial functions, such as taking responsibility for a unit's staff, budget, planning, or long-range goals.
- Perform physical examinations, make tentative diagnoses, and treat patients en route to hospitals or at disaster site triage centers.
- Order, interpret, and evaluate diagnostic tests to identify and assess patient's condition.
- Prescribe or recommend drugs, medical devices, or other forms of treatment, such as physical therapy, inhalation therapy, or related therapeutic procedures.
- Engage in research activities related to nursing.
- Direct or coordinate infection control programs, advising or consulting with specified personnel about necessary precautions.
- Conduct specified laboratory tests.
- Observe nurses and visit patients to ensure proper nursing care.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $77,360 with most people making between $57,180 and $97,920
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorAdult Health Nurse/Nursing
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
majorRegistered Nursing/Registered Nurse
majorMaternal/Child Health and Neonatal Nurse/Nursing