Provide advanced nursing care for patients with psychiatric disorders. May provide psychotherapy under the direction of a psychiatrist.
- Adult Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Family Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Mental Health Nurse
- Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- Psychiatric Nurse
- Treat patients for routine physical health problems.
- Provide routine physical health screenings to detect or monitor problems such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Administer medications including those administered by injection.
- Direct or provide home health services.
- Develop, implement, or evaluate programs such as outreach activities, community mental health programs, and crisis situation response activities.
- Develop practice protocols for mental health problems based on review and evaluation of published research.
- Refer patients requiring more specialized or complex treatment to psychiatrists, primary care physicians, or other medical specialists.
- Teach classes in mental health topics such as stress reduction.
- Participate in treatment team conferences regarding diagnosis or treatment of difficult cases.
- Interpret diagnostic or laboratory tests such as electrocardiograms (EKGs) and renal functioning tests.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Support in their jobs.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $75,820 with most people making between $56,410 and $95,150
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
majorPediatrics Residency Program
collegeUniversity of California-San Diego
majorPsychiatric/Mental Health Nurse/Nursing
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
majorRegistered Nursing/Registered Nurse