Provide advanced nursing care for patients in critical or coronary care units.
- Burn Center Nurse
- Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory Registered Nurse
- Critical Care Nurse
- Critical Care Nurse Practitioner
- Critical Care Nurse Specialist
- Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN)
- Critical Care Unit Nurse
- Intensive Care Unit Nurse
- Neonatal Critical Care Nurse
- Pediatric Critical Care Nurse
- Assess patients' pain levels or sedation requirements.
- Monitor patients for changes in status and indications of conditions such as sepsis or shock and institute appropriate interventions.
- Set up and monitor medical equipment and devices such as cardiac monitors, mechanical ventilators and alarms, oxygen delivery devices, transducers, or pressure lines.
- Administer medications intravenously, by injection, orally, through gastric tubes, or by other methods.
- Evaluate patients' vital signs or laboratory data to determine emergency intervention needs.
- Prioritize nursing care for assigned critically ill patients, based on assessment data or identified needs.
- Document patients' medical histories and assessment findings.
- Advocate for patients' and families' needs, or provide emotional support for patients and their families.
- Conduct pulmonary assessments to identify abnormal respiratory patterns or breathing sounds that indicate problems.
- Administer blood and blood products, monitoring patients for signs and symptoms related to transfusion reactions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $68,910 with most people making between $45,630 and $96,320
United States projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
majorCritical Care Nursing
majorRegistered Nursing/Registered Nurse
majorMaternal/Child Health and Neonatal Nurse/Nursing
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeNew York University
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeLoma Linda University