Provide treatment of symptoms and disorders using needles and small electrical currents. May provide massage treatment. May also provide preventive treatments.
- Acupressure Therapist
- Acupuncture Physician
- Auricular Acupuncturist
- Auricular Detoxification Specialist
- Auricular Therapist
- Clinic Supervisor
- Licensed Acupuncturist
- Insert needles to provide acupuncture treatment.
- Maintain and follow standard quality, safety, environmental and infection control policies and procedures.
- Adhere to local, state and federal laws, regulations and statutes.
- Identify correct anatomical and proportional point locations based on patients' anatomy and positions, contraindications, and precautions related to treatments such as intradermal needles, moxibution, electricity, guasha, and bleeding.
- Maintain detailed and complete records of health care plans and prognoses.
- Analyze physical findings and medical histories to make diagnoses according to Oriental medicine traditions.
- Treat patients using tools such as needles, cups, ear balls, seeds, pellets, and nutritional supplements.
- Develop individual treatment plans and strategies.
- Evaluate treatment outcomes and recommend new or altered treatments as necessary to further promote, restore, or maintain health.
- Collect medical histories and general health and life style information from patients.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SRI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $77,700 with most people making between $43,870 and $115,030
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,500 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,500 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 30 job openings annually.
majorAcupuncture and Oriental Medicine
collegeUniversity of California-San Diego
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeAcademy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences
collegeSouthern California University of Health Sciences
majorAdult Health Nurse/Nursing