Provide respiratory care under the direction of respiratory therapists and physicians.
- Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT)
- Certified Respiratory Therapy Technician (CRTT)
- Life Support Technician
- Oxygen Equipment Technician
- Oxygen Therapy Technician
- Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Respiratory Care Practitioner
- Respiratory Technician
- Respiratory Therapist
- Teach patients how to use respiratory equipment at home.
- Teach or oversee other workers who provide respiratory care services.
- Follow and enforce safety rules applying to equipment.
- Recommend or review bedside procedures, x-rays, or laboratory tests.
- Clean, sterilize, check, and maintain respiratory therapy equipment.
- Provide respiratory care involving the application of well-defined therapeutic techniques under the supervision of a respiratory therapist and a physician.
- Interview or examine patients to collect clinical data.
- Administer breathing or oxygen procedures, such as intermittent positive pressure breathing treatments, ultrasonic nebulizer treatments, or incentive spirometer treatments.
- Explain treatment procedures to patients.
- Prepare or test devices, such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, aerosol generators, or electrocardiogram (EKG) machines.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SRI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in Washington was $58,680 with most people making between $34,070 and $84,250
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 150 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 190 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 4 openings due to growth and about -4 replacement openings for approximately - total annual openings.
majorRespiratory Therapy Technician/Assistant
collegeLoma Linda University
majorMedical Radiologic Technology/Science - Radiation Therapist
onetDietitians and Nutritionists
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorRespiratory Care Therapy/Therapist